A loosely styled preppy favorite and close cousin to the pompadour, this hairstyle works if you have straight, thick hair, which should be grown to a medium length and finished with a hint of cream. It’s perfect for fall because its length and collegiate feel truly suit crisp weather and back-to-school style, even if you’re long out of college. To avoid looking like a nerd, don’t overstyle—keep it a little lazy and you’ll nail the Ivy League look that tells the world you just don’t give a fk.
a step-by-step guide
1. Create a horseshoe parting at the crown area.
2. Take a parting from the highest point of the head to the highest point of the ear and determine your length by positioning your finger horizontally.
3. Use your traveling guide over the crown to create uniform layering.
4. The lower part of the crown is projected vertically and cut using the palm-to-palm technique.
5. Create a stationary guide at the crown.
6. Use the stationary guide to connect the interior part and crosscheck.
7. Cut the sides and back with the scissor-over-comb technique.
8. Remove the length, create and blend, then detail the perimeter. Connect the nape with the sides moving The Classic Straight Comb horizontally through the hair.
9. Cut the perimeter line using The Trimmer with the detailing blade for lining and designing.
10. Utilize The Brush Dryer to style the hair.
11. Take a small amount of The Forming Cream and rub on your palms and fingers.
12. Apply and style as desired.
ESQUIRE RULE 749
There is no shame in heroic hair-loss intervention.