This hairstyle works with straight or wavy hair, and its pleasing, conservative length makes it a versatile favorite for a lot of men—particularly those who require a bit of seriousness without the maintenance. Because of its versatility, it suits virtually any business suit, from solid to patterned, but can also work with wilder looks, balancing out any hippie or rocker weekend tendencies you might have. Added bonus—you can also style this naturally, with a hint of clay or pomade.
a step-by-step guide
1. Start in the middle lower nape using The Classic Dual Comb. Hold the comb horizontally with The Classic Professional Clipper to create a taper fade.
2. Continue the clipper-over-comb technique until you reach the occipital bone.
3. Repeat the clipper-over-comb technique on both back sides.
4. Continue with The Classic Professional Clipper connecting the sides to the nape area.
5. Detail and outline with The Esquire Trimmer.
6. Use the scissor-over-comb technique, connecting sides to top. Repeat the same technique on the other side, blending the sides to the top.
7. Create guideline from the highest point of the head to the crown area. Using horizontal sections, connect the rest of the top following a traveling guideline.
8. Dry and style hair with The Brush Dryer.
9. Apply The Clay and achieve the finished look.
ESQUIRE RULE 754
In descending order of acceptable nomenclature: “gel,” “hair stuff,” “product,” “goop,” “father’s little help.”