To Beard or Not to Beard?
For those that can grow them, show them. Feelings on the beard can waver in preference between the scruff, the stubble and the full grown beard. Anyway you shave it – to many – beards are fashionable. Just like any great accessory, they help the modern man to stand out.
These days’ beards are not just restricted to the hipster at the local coffeehouse. Professionals, businesspeople and just about anyone in between have proudly sported the beard. Varying degrees of facial hair is something that never really goes out of style, they live on – full or groomed, or just about everywhere in between.
For the Ladies
Men might want to note women’s opinions of the beard and the advantage it can give them in helping to attract the opposite sex. After all, that’s probably why you have one, right? Even if it’s not, it is interesting to note for many women, facial hair is perceived as a symbol of masculinity and it is often related to an innate assumption that the bearded man can take care of them — a biological cue of attraction for some.
In one study, women were found to find stubble to be the sexiest degree of facial hair for a man to have and rated fuller beards as being related to a man who was perceived as having the best parenting abilities and overall health. Although finding a beard attractive ultimately comes down to a preference for most ladies, those who like it – seem to love it.
Fun Beard Facts
Still debating if you should grow a beard? Aside from it being a style choice, beards serve up a few bonus functions we feel like you should know … and they might help you to fully embrace the beard – maybe.
Here is just a few:
Keeps allergies at bay – beards can act as a natural filtration system that helps block pollutants from entering your airways and stops dust particles from entering.
Protects you from cancer – thicker beards have been known to minimize skin cancer because it deters direct sun from hitting the face and acts as a natural barrier from the sun.
Keeps skin healthy – shaving can spread bacteria on the face, which leads to acne. Cleansing your beard leads to better facial care habits and overall clearer skin.
Gentlemen: longer life span and more ladies? It might not be such a terrible idea to set those shavers down after all.
Thinking about sporting a beard? Let us show you a great Beard Grooming Technique using our Esquire Trimmer
– ESQUIRE GROOMING –
- Place the Detailing T-Blade attachment on the Esquire Trimmer.
2. Start in the middle underneath the chin, creating your initial guideline and determining the depth and length of the beard.
3. Continue lining the beard along the jaw-line on both sides to establish the foundation and perimeter lines of the beard.
4. Invert the Esquire Trimmer with the detailing T- Blade attachment and trim and set perimeter lines of the beard in around the cheek bone areas.
5. Taper the beard hair into desired length and shape with the Esquire Classic Dual Comb and the Esquire Classic Professional Clipper.
6. Place the nose shaver attachment on the Esquire Trimmer to remove nose hair.
7. Start with the detailing T-Blade in the middle of the top side of upper lip. Set in the initial perimeter line of the mustache cleaning and raising the hair slightly up off of the lip. Work from the center out to the left and right maintaining a straight line along the top of upper lip/perimeter of mustache.
8. Invert Esquire Trimmer with ‘T-Blade’ upside down and set perimeter lines in on top of mustache on either side of nose just cleaning up excess hair and blending with beard.